Student Information for 2020 ParticipantsOpening registration will take place on the Funkhouser Dorm Patio. Park in the adjacent parking lot and proceed to the covered patio area. In case of inclement weather an alternate location will be posted. There will be signs on campus directing you to workshop registration. After registration and dorm check in (and with the campus map given to you) you should take a walk to familiarize yourself with the SU campus.
General "What to Bring" List for All ParticipantsThis workshop will be a fast-paced, intense program. To get the most out of this learning experience, please bring the following items:
- A note book or pad for taking notes
- Staff paper
- Back Pack or something to carry class supplies and handouts
- Your instrument (if playing)
- Drum sticks and mallets (percussion players only)
- Pianos and/or electric keyboards will be available for ensembles and in practice rooms
- If you have large equipment, a wheeled carrier is best for fast transport and comfort.
- Large equipment can be left in designated rooms and locked overnight or stored in your dorm room if applicable.
Information for Campus ResidentsIf you will be staying on campus for the week, please bring the following dormitory-related items:
- Fan (optional, rooms are air conditioned
- Twin sheets (XL) Linens are not provided
Information for Commuters
- Please arrive no later then 08:15am each morning.
- Please pickup and drop-off in the Armstrong parking area (#4 on map).
- Evening pickup (after concert) is 9:00pm.
- Those parking cars for the day can also use this area an/or the adjacent parking garage.
- Any minor departing campus before 9:00pm will need to inform workshop staff and a parent/guardian must speak with workshop staff to verify:
- All pickups of minors will be monitored by an workshop staff member
Meals & Lodging
Lodging is available for workshop participants in the Shenandoah University dormitories. Adult chaperones will stay in the dormitories and supervise minors. Dormitories are air conditioned. Minors will be assigned a roommate. Participants may designate a preferred roommate and we will try to honor all such requests. Adults may request a private room. Linens are not provided, so please bring your own.
Workshop minor participants staying on campus will have a meal plan included in their fee. Adults may purchase meals on their own.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the dress for NWP?
All dress including concert performances is casual. Shorts, t-shirts and summer apparel is expected.
Can parents attend concerts?
Yes, all workshop concerts are free and open to the public.
I play more than one instrument. Should I bring them all?
If you double and are willing to play your secondary instrument you will be contacted before to the workshop about what instruments to bring. You can bring both even if you dotty double at NWP to practice or b ring to masterclasses.
I have large equipment. Where can I store it?
Yes, we will have a secure room to leave equipment overnight. Please bring a wheeled device to move your equipment around easily.
Will the University have wireless internet?